Skip to main content

Rebuilding Paradise: Life One Year After the Camp Fire

A year ago today our lives were changed forever when the Camp Fire, the deadliest and most destructive wildfire in California history, swept through and destroyed most of our little foothill community. If you haven't read my family's Camp Fire story already, you can read it here. Even a full year later, it still feels so surreal to me, like a bad dream I might eventually wake up from. While the rest of the world has moved on and shifted their focus onto other topics and other disasters, we living here, in and around the burn scar, are all still dealing with the aftermath of such enormous devastation. 


#thebarefootmom

Living through an event like this, seeing everyone you know loose everything, knowing how close you and everyone you know came to not escaping that day, changes you. It's a year later and I still wake up in the middle of the night, panicked, wondering where I am some nights. The tiniest bit of smoke in the air gets me throwing our belongings into bags, just incase we have to leave in a hurry. My kids still tell me they miss our old house and that they miss our pets almost daily. My 8 year old has especially struggled this year. So many of her friends moved away after the fire, she lost her church friends and her Sunday school class. We don't see my parents every week like we used to and my mother in law and her husband moved out of state. It's been a huge adjustment for her, for all of us really.

Most of us fire survivors are living in towns that are unfamiliar, there are many still in temporary housing, RVs, and cars. We're having to commute long distances to get to jobs and schools, and we're spread apart from our families and friends. My family is still living in the apartment we moved into shortly after the fire late last fall. My husband is commuting an hour each way to work, in a state with astronomically high gas prices (it was $4.39 a gallon here last time I checked). We have to drive 1-2 hours to see anyone we know and it's an hour to most of our homeschool meet ups. And we're luckier than many. There are still families living out of motels and staying on friend's sofas. There are even people still living out of their cars. The Tiny Houses for Camp Fire Survivors organization currently has over 100 people on it's waitlist for tiny homes. Unfortunately, recovery is still a long way off for many, but things are slowly getting there. If you'd like to help the recovery effort, consider donating to Tiny Homes For Camp Fire Survivors.  They're doing some great work!

On to the more positive part of this story: rebuilding! 

My parents and my grandma are back home on their lot, living in an RV. Their lot was cleared of debris, and soil testing came back as clean back in March. Luckily the septic inspection showed the septic system was still intact, so we didn't have to replace it. Their water was cleared as clean about 2 months ago, but they are still using bottled water for drinking and cooking just to be safe, as much of the town's water system is contaminated with benzene. Prior to that, they were having to truck in all their water. Since they can't afford to hire a general contractor, my family is doing the majority of the rebuild ourselves. So far we've only been able to break ground on the garage and smaller builds that don't require permits, like fences and sheds. We are currently still waiting on the town to approve my dad's plans for the house before we can get started on it. They should be getting their permit any day now. We were originally hoping to be almost done with the house by this time, but my dad's original plans weren't accepted because of an issue with the square footage, so he had to go back and redesign and then resubmit.


My parents lot before and after it was cleared of debris

My parents lot as it looks today

Working on the new garage

Working on the new garage

In addition to my parents, there are about 2,000 of our town's 26,000 former residents living back in Paradise, and several thousand more in the adjoining community of Magalia. Every time I come to town there are more new houses being built and more businesses opening back up. My favorite pizza place just reopened a few weeks ago. Almost all the lots have been cleared of debris now. While the mark of the fire is still very visible in the many damaged trees and empty lots, you only see a few burned cars and piles of charred metal around town these days. According to the Paradise Recovers site, as of October 21st, 156 applications for residential building permits have been received by the county. 79 permits have actually been issued, and 2 homes are completed.

Every time I see a new house getting started or even just a new family home on their lot in an RV, it makes my heart happy. Our little community is going to survive this! Today, to mark the one year anniversary, there are a number of events happening around town, including the unveiling of a phoenix erected from the keys of houses lost to the fire, created by local artist Jess Mercer. I look forward to seeing it next time we are in town! There will also be ceremonies today in honor of those who lost their lives. I invite you to join us in 85 seconds of silence at 11:08 am PST, today November 8th, in remembrance of the 85 people lost to the fire.

As for my family's future, I am honestly not sure what we are doing yet. We didn't own our home, so there's nothing for us to rebuild, and no lot to return to. For a long time, I was hopeful that an opportunity to return home would present itself to us, but realistically, I know it's going to be a long time before we can afford to return to Paradise. We are not happy living where we are currently, so we are beginning to seriously consider moving to a state with a more affordable cost of living and better opportunities for our family. It's terrifying for me to think about leaving. I've lived in this area my entire life and always planned on raising my kids in Paradise near my parents and my grandma. It's heartbreaking to think that my toddler will hardly remember living in Paradise and that my baby may never call it home. I loved living in Paradise and never had any real desire to leave, but I guess life takes us in unexpected directions sometimes. Who knows what adventures are out there waiting for us, so I will try to keep moving forward with as much positivity as I can.

Comments

  1. It is so nice to read an update. It is so sad that so many lives have changed - including your own families - but I love your sharing that so many are able to start rebuilding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Water Relay Races For Kids

I don't know about your kids, but mine absolutely love games involving water and getting wet in the summer time. In  this post I share 5 of our favorite water relay races to play with friends. These are perfect for birthday parties, homeschool get togethers, and other group events. Sponge Relay: For this relay you will need: - 2 teams of several kids each -2 large sponges -4 small buckets or containers of some sort Divide your participants into 2 teams and have each team line up single file at a predetermined starting place.  Hand out a sponge to the first participant in each line. Set a bucket of water by each team. Set an empty bucket about 20 ft away from each team.  The two empty buckets should be the same size and should have a "fill line" marked half way up. On a count of 3 (or ready set go) the first participant in each line should dip their sponge in the bucket of water, run to the empty bucket, squeeze the water from their spo

Make Your Own Mineral Identification Kit

One of my family's favorite hobbies is rock hounding. We love collecting and trying to identify neat rock and mineral specimens that we come across. You can put together your own simple kit for identifying rocks and minerals with materials you likely already have around your home. In this post I will explain how to put together your own mineral identification kit and how to use it to identify rocks and minerals you find on your adventures. Making a Rock and Mineral ID Kit Grab yourself a printable Rock and Mineral Journal for recording your observations here:  Printable Rock and Mineral Journal ,  and then gather the following supplies: -A pencil -A coin -An iron nail -A piece of glass (an old pocket mirror works well) -A ceramic tile -A small watertight bottle or container -Some vinegar -A magnet  -A magnifying glass -A dropper (optional)  -Rock and mineral guide (optional)  -A small container or bag to keep it all in Fill the small watertight

STEM Art: 21 STEAM Project Ideas

My kids love STEM projects and we're always looking for ways to add more art to our homeschool days, so I decided I am going to try to dedicate one morning a week this year to STEM art activities. In this post I share some of the ideas we're planning to try, plus a few favorites we've done in the past. What is STEM Education? STEM education is a blended and often hands on approach to teaching science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, which are some of today's fastest growing industries. STEM education offers students the opportunity to problem solve and work on real world problems and questions. Sometimes the acronym STEAM is used, to include the arts. Adding art to STEM education encourages creative thinking and problem solving skills. It can also help make the other included subjects more appealing to some students. STEM Art Projects  Penny Spinners-   Learn about centrifugal force and make your own spinning tops with this fun post from Teach Beside Me. Explo

40 Things To Look At Under A Microscope

Microscopes are a scientific instrument that all kids should get a chance to learn how to use. There are so many everyday things that look really amazing up-close. Under a microscope you can see that objects and even plants and animals are made of tiny intricate parts. The microscopic world is amazing! In this post I share 40 things to try looking at up-close under a microscope. 40 Things To Look At Under A Microscope: 1. A feather  2. Soil 3. An insect wing 4. A human hair 5. An animal hair 6. Pond water 7. Diatomacious earth-  diatomacious earth looks SO cool magnified! 8. Cheek swab 9. An insect leg 10. A drop of blood 11. Mold 12. Sand 13. A shaving from a chicken bone- try both a piece of hard bone from the outside and some spongy bone from inside a bone. 14. Kombucha 15. Snake or lizard skin after they shed  16. A flower petal 17. A sliver of wood 18. Sugar 19. Salt- try different types 20. Thread 21. Saliva 22. A s

Learning About The Human Body Part 1: The Skeletal And Muscular Systems

At the end of each school year, I sit down with my daughter to discuss what topics she wants to learn about the next year. One of her science topics she picked to study this year was the human body. Instead of ordering a boxed curriculum set, I decided to put together my own human body unit. In this post I share some of the resources we used for learning about the human skeletal and muscular systems, plus instructions for a couple hands on learning activities. You can find my post about the human respiratory and circulatory systems  here , and my post about the human digestive and nervous systems  here . The Human Skeletal System Our skeletons are the frame of our body. They give us structure, without them our bodies would be limp like noodles. They also provide places for muscles to attach so our bodies can move. Why Does Your Body Need Calcium? Experiment: This is a simple experiment you can do to explore why calcium is important for our bones. You will need: -several clean