I was recently given the opportunity to review The Layered-Lesson Math Book by Anne B Thomas. I often get asked to try out and review products and books, but I rarely accept such offers. A lot of products just don't align well with my family's education style, but this particular book sounded really cool, and I was excited to get a chance to check it out!
*I was given a free copy of The Layered-Lesson Math Book in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was recieved.
Anne is a homeschool mom of 10 kids and she has a degree in elementary education. She also writes a parenting blog called Parenthood is an Adventure. She wrote The Layered-Lesson Math Book to make it easier to teach math to multiple levels (pre-k through 6th grade).
The Layered-Lesson Math Book contains 36 lessons meant to be spread out over a 36-week school year. There's 1 lesson for each week and on the other days of the week, parents are prompted to provide worksheets, workbook pages, or other math activities that align with that week's lesson.
Each lesson provides instructions for how to teach a particular math concept from pre-k to 6th grade. The lessons each start with a group activity and then each level receives instruction with the details appropriate for that level. Parents are then prompted to provide grade level appropriate worksheets or workbook pages to each child to practice that week's concept.
For example, week 16 is about fractions. For the group activity there is a pizza fraction game to play that will help familiarize your kids with the concept of adding and subtracting fractions. Then you move on to the "Show and Tell" portion of the lesson, which has a list of skills to teach for each grade level. Parents are prompted to teach just the grade levels applicable for their family, but to teach to the whole group. This way older students get a review of previous skills and younger kids get a preview of what's ahead.
I love how this book simplifies teaching math to multiple levels without sacrificing quality learning. I also really like that the group activity for each week always contains a hands-on element. It's so much easier to keep kids engaged when they get to move, use manipulatives, or play games. I found that many of the lessons pair well with the IXL workbooks that my family already uses, which is great!
If you are struggling with teaching math to multiple levels, I highly recommend checking out Anne's book: The Layered-Lesson Math Book.
*I was given a free copy of The Layered-Lesson Math Book in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was recieved.
If you enjoyed this post, check out:
Follow me on
Comments
Post a Comment